Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

Love - a tall order...

So I've been thinking about what it's all about. You know...what am I here for...

As a read, I see that we all are here to love - to love God first and a close second, love our neighbor (Matthew 22:34-40). Through this I read that I will be transformed more and more into the image of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18). So how does Christ love..

From 1 John 3:16-18 "16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life (wow!) for us. And we ought to (yes, do this) lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? (it seems that I've been taught by our culture - neighbors, strangers, books, TV, media, friends and yes...family to strive to gather material possessions, protect them, put them in safes, boxes, get security systems, etc. But the answer from God - his plan - seems to be letting go... if Ihave material possessions and someone else needs them...I am to surrender them. If I don't...it says that I don't have the full love of God in me. Hmmm.....hard to do for me.) 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (People will know there is something special in me when I love like this... not with words - but with actions - in truth...you know...from the heart - like I really mean it)" The highlights are mine...

I always thought that love was just a feeling in your heart - it warms my body and excites my mind. I still believe that this is true...but I realize that I feel this way when I take action. I want to feel this way all the time but it is strange because I also feel threatened by the thought of giving my stuff away...I'm not talking about the stuff that I'm done with...that doesn't fit me or is worn out...I'm talking about giving things that mean something to me - that I still use and like and want. Giving those things show that I have the love of God in me.

This is hard...        

Will you join me in bringing love to the world?

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with this as well Brad. If anyone wants to know what "They" truly love... just take a look at your checkbook and see. A real eyeopener for me. Keep posting Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt! Love you guys...wish you were out here - we need a small group!

    ReplyDelete