Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Black Hole

Many people live in what feels like a building with no windows. Their life turns dark gray and the weight of the world starts to crush them. Nothing seems fun and they feel worthless... I know... I am one of them. Today's blog is very important if you are also a person that experiences depression. Here are some facts:
  • 80% of people that seek treatment for depression are treated successfully.
  • By 2010, depression will be the #1 disability in the world. (World Health Organization)
  • The strongest risk factor for suicide is depression.
  • Many who attempt suicide never seek professional care.
  • Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, ages 25-65.
  • For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
  • There are an estimated 8 to 25 attempted suicides to 1 completion.
  • 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
I have also found that I find comfort and indeed the ability to exit my depression through God's word.


That may sound hokey... but if you have depression 1) tell someone and get help 2) tell God.

Here is what God has told me during these lonely, cold, dark times...


1 John 3:1 See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! (We are children of God - the King! - we are...you and I are...princes and princesses. You are worth something! Something special, indeed!)

1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. (Since we are His children, it makes sense that He would care about us. I've found that it is easier to say that I give my worries and cares to God and much harder to do it...as I have been able to do this - it is HARD - I have definitely seen His hand in my life and His peace in my being)


1 John 5:14 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. (Don't think that God does not hear you...he does! We have the ability to approach God in His throne room...we don't even have to make an appointment! When I start to feel low... I barge right in there and tell Him - it doesn't have to be a perfect prayer...He will meet you where you are...reach out and say what you want - from your heart)

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.  (Thank you God for including this...even when I think that I am small, weak and worthless....You choose me! God CHOOSES YOU.)
 
God loves you and works through you...you are valuable and the world needs you! You are not alone...there are many of us around...it is not shameful...reach out - get help...and call to God!
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Brad. It can be debilitating, but His healing and freedom can bring light to the dark. Thank you for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete